Monday, June 24, 2013

Injury, Recovery, and Riding!


I have just started riding again after two serious fractures in the Tibia and Fibula bones that kept me off the bike for twelve long weeks.   Unfortunately my injury was not due to any epic mountain bike crashes or dangerous activities, I broke fractured my ankle walking down the stairs of my school.  I had surgery and one screw put in my ankle, I was treated at the Tahoe Forest Hospital in Truckee, California.  My orthopedic surgeon was Dr. Osgood who was a great doctor and good to work with.  I spent nine weeks on crutches and then moved on to a cane.  I spent eight weeks in physical therapy at Body Logic Physical Therapy in Grass Valley, California.


     After twelve weeks from being away from the sport and activity that I love I was over joyed to get back on the mountain bike!!!  My balance and fitness are coming back and I am looking forward to lots of riding over the summer.  So far I have gotten up to Grouse Ridge and Downieville areas for some great truly gnarly rock laden terrain, as well as other wonderful local spots.   I came in first place in the Nevada City Dirt Classic #1 in the CAT 2 division, and am currently training for the Downieville Classic Cross-Country Race.

 



1 comment:

  1. For athletes, getting injured and having to stop performing their beloved sport impose a lot of negative feelings. So I am happy to hear that you had a full recovery and actually bagged first place on the first competition you participated in after the injury. Please be careful, and enjoy the ride!
    Liberty @ US Health Works

    ReplyDelete