Monday, March 30, 2015

NorCal Race #2 Granite Bay

The start.
For the second NICA NorCal League mountain bike race, athletes competed on the slightly rocky and sandy trails of Granite Bay.  I have the most experience racing on this course and had been training on the course prior to the race so I felt prepared for what I knew would be a hard day of racing.

The most challenging part of racing in Granite Bay is the sand, racers start on a sandy beach, then have to fight through a few loose corners, and then navigate the gigantic sand pit which sent many racers off their bike and running across to solid ground.

Sand pit!
My race started well and I was placed in the second row of racers since I was sixth overall.  Unfortunately on my second lap I was plagued by the worst back pain I have ever experienced, and by the time I finished the race I could barely get off my bike.  Coupled with the heat I feel I did not perform as well as I could have, but I still had a solid finish in 10th place at the Varsity level and held on to my 6th place overall standing.


More cowbell!
Even though my race did not go as I would have liked it to go I still had a great time at Granite Bay, hanging out with friends and getting rowdy for all the racers out on course.  It is always a cool experience to see how many people are involved in the awesome sport of High School mountain bike racing.  The next race will be held at the Laguna Seca raceway near Monterey in two weeks.
 
 
 
Photo credit: Mike Meskee.

No comments:

Post a Comment